Thursday, December 30, 2010

Divine Noel Swirlydoos Butterfly Challenge

Angelica is hosting another butterfly challenge over at
I have not done many layouts this month...well..actually only one.  So this morning I got up and realized that this challenge ends today!  So I made a layout.  The real challenge is this is the 
Christmas photo of the boys I took this year.
The boys all received these awesome hats and spelunking flashlights (that is what the boys called them).  So they immediately became Ninjas. Nothing says Christmas like Ninjas. I designed a filigree butterfly with my Silhouette SD.
I had fun with this...and put the letter "H" in each of the wings for "Heather."  I used Gold Tinsel embossing powder by Stamp-n-stuff. I used a sheet of my Divine Noel kit for the background of the butterfly.  I stamped it with Ranger's Distress inks in Vintage Photo..and inked the edges.

I did my layout a little different by using a sheet of cheaper paper to place my papers on.  That way they look layered..but I didn't have to use much paper.
The First strip to the right...stamped with Vintage photo and distressed with my craft knife..and inked.
Here I added the second was embossed with the same gold color as above.  I got the embossing powder at Michaels craft store.
Here you can see where I used One of Martha Stewart's Punches to add 2 more in cream..and one in green (to the left).  I cut out the frame of one of the pieces of paper from my kit.
Here is the paper I will use as my background...I will cut it down to it will fit right on top of the pink paper.

I added the black punched piece to the bottom of the paper...and goofed on another black punched piece ....but decided to use it to cover up the lower right corner.
Wow!  Wasn't that  This is the finished piece.
Here are some close ups below.
Upper left corner...added another one of those goofed up punched pieces in black...and added some of the tiny bird and holly embellies too.
Here is the upper Right.  I took the twig of berries apart, and just glued little clumps here and there.  The leaf was a larger leaf that I cut down to the size I wanted.  The Red petal came from the large poinsettia flower in the kit...I just took the whole thing apart.
The trim and stick pin are also from the kit.
Here you can see one of the punched strips in green, some of the green pearls from my kit ..and how I embossed the dusty attic piece with gold tinsel.  I then added a green jewel and pearls to give it more dimension.
Here is the top center of the page.  I used another punched piece around the center photo...and embossed the black mat as previously done with other pieces.  The photo acts like a pocket to hold the tag...and the butterfly acts like a pocket to hold the photo.  So I could change it, if I wanted.
Here is a black flower, more leaves and petals that I took apart to form my lower right hand cluster.  I used another 
piece that I embossed in gold tinsel.
Here is a close up of the butterfly.  I used one of the flower pieces as part of the decoration for the butterfly.  I also used two of the poinsettia petals to add dimension to the wings.  It is hard to see, but I used part of a Dusty Attic piece for the added dimension for the body.  It too was embossed with Gold tinsel.
 One last butterfly close up.
Here you can see the hidden tag.
Thanks for visiting!
Hope this inspires you to create something beautiful today!

1 comment:

  1. Heather, your layout is beautiful. I love your scrapbooking style and am off the cruise through the rest of your blog. Thanks for taking the time to share your inspiraiton with the rest of us.

    Donna in Louisiana


Thanks for Visiting my blog today! Hope you found some inspiration...Have a great day! Hugs....Heather